Below you can find the results for OHL players, as well as my draft ranking before the draft (for comparison's sake).
Some general thoughts on how the draft played out.
- Despite all the claims that this draft was so wide open after the first few picks, things kept pretty predictable. The actual draft really didn't look all that different than many of the mock drafts being produced. Especially from an OHL perspective, there weren't any massive surprises.
- Needless to say, I feel like the St. Louis Blues got a heck of a steal with Fabbri at 21 (and with Barbashev in the 2nd). He's going to make Blues fans happy some day soon and is the perfect player to compliment the skill sets of some of their current young stars.
- There were some pretty big fallers of some of the guys I had ranked in the mid rounds, including Spencer Watson, Jacob Middleton, and Matt Mistele. All three were guys ranked much higher at the beginning of the season and didn't have their best years.
- The overage round-up took a bit of a step back this year. Only 2 OHL "overage"/"re-entry" players were taken this time around; Hunter Smith and Jake Marchment.
- Even with his incredibly poor season, I'm quite surprised that no one took a flyer on Blake Clarke in the 7th. In one season he went from talked about top 10 pick to not being drafted at all. Pretty remarkable. Thing is, this year he battled some injuries, confidence issues and a change of scenery. But what will next year hold? What if he learns to play in traffic again? What if he regains his scorers touch? If Clarke bounces back next year we'll definitely be looking at a guy who could get the Tanner Pearson treatment (a first round pick). And any team in the league could have thrown a 7th at him. Maybe a team will be smart, invite him to rookie camp/training camp, and then sign him (as has been done in the past with guys like Sergei Tolchinsky, Evan McEneny, Kurtis Macdermid, etc).
|My Rank||Player Name||PO||OHL Team||NHL Team||RD||Pick|
|1||Aaron Ekblad|| |
|3||Robby Fabbri|| |
|5||Michael Dal Colle||F||Oshawa||NYI||1||5|
|29||Mike Amadio||F||North Bay||LAK||3||90|
|31||Blake Clarke|| |
|32||Jaden Lindo||F||Owen Sound||PIT||6||173|
|34||Kyle Wood||D||North Bay||COL||3||84|
|35||Zach Bratina||F||North Bay|
|46||Damir Sharipzyanov||D||Owen Sound|
|5||Marcus McIvor||D||North Bay|
|9||Josh Sterk|| |
|10||Brenden Miller||D||North Bay|