Below you can find the results for OHL players, as well as my draft ranking before the draft (for comparison's sake).
|My Rank||Player Name||PO||OHL Team||NHL Team||RD||Pick|
|16||Gemel Smith||F||Owen Sound||DAL||4||104|
|20||Jarrod Maidens||F||Owen Sound||OTT||3||82|
|27||Artur Gavrus||F||Owen Sound||NJ||6||180|
|32||Jake Dotchin||D||Owen Sound||TBL||6||161|
|48||Joseph Blandisi||F||Owen Sound||COL||6||162|
|50||Garrett Hooey||F||Belleville|| |
1. Another remarkable day for overage prospects. 9 overagers (or re-entries) from the OHL were drafted. This includes Seth Griffith, who I'm incredibly pleased to see drafted after I was surprised he was passed over last year. This also includes first round pick Tanner Pearson!
2. Dane Fox becomes the highest rated player I've ever had go undrafted. Has to be disappointing for him. I suppose it's not completely surprising because of the "character" issues that seem to surround him, but after talking with him and doing a feature on him this year, he seems like a guy with his head on straight now. Talent wise, he's definitely a top 3 round pick, so hopefully he uses this as motivation next year and has an explosive year on an up and coming Erie squad.
3. I feel bad for Nick Ebert. From potential top 10 pick at this time last year, to the last pick in the entire draft. Ouch.
4. I don't get how Joel Wigle goes undrafted. Teams making a big mistake there. I guess no one got a good enough glimpse of him with his limited minutes this year, but he'll be a big player for Niagara moving forward. He certainly showed me WAY more than a guy like Cody Payne this year (who did get drafted).
5. Also a tad surprised to see two players with great bloodlines in Max Iafrate and Alex Gudbranson not get drafted.
6. Love seeing Ryan Rupert get drafted by the Leafs. Size concerns be damned, this guy can play the game.
7. Biggest head scratcher of the day goes to Pittsburgh drafting Clark Seymour. At one point last year, I had him in my top 50, but he ended up being an honorable mention. He didn't get drafted. This year, he has some injury problems and suspension issues, and never really took that step forward in Peterborough (IMO). Yet...he gets drafted. Don't get this one.
What are your thoughts on the draft this year?