Thursday, May 2, 2019

2019 OHL Playoff Predictions: OHL Finals

We're finally here. The 2018/19 OHL season is wrapping up and the OHL Championship is set to start tonight. The first place Ottawa 67's ran through the Eastern Conference without losing a game on route to the finals. Where as the Guelph Storm have clawed their way to the finals by coming back from the dead twice, down 3-0 to London and 3-1 to Saginaw. Who will take home the crown?

At this point, I am 11-3 in the playoffs after going 1-1 last round. I truly did believe that Oshawa's tenacity and speed could give Ottawa issues, on top of having Kyle Keyser between the pipes. But that wasn't the case. But I did get the Storm series correct, even if it took some unfortunate suspensions to turn the tide for Guelph.

Let's breakdown the Championship match-up.

1. Ottawa 67's vs. 4. Guelph Storm
Season Series: 1-1, TIE
Analysis: I admit, heading into the playoffs I was a little worried about how this Ottawa team would perform deep in the playoffs. Michael Dipietro wasn't looking his best. The defense, as aggressive as they are, struggled at times with pace and decision making with the puck. But, Dipietro seems to be slowly regaining his confidence. And the defense, in particular guys like Kevin Bahl, Nikita Okhotyuk, Hudson Wilson, and Merrick Rippon, have all been steady and have really limited their mistakes. On the Guelph front, I'm really concerned with fatigue. Their road has not been easy. They have had back to back emotionally and physically draining series'. All that said, my pick at the very start of these playoffs was the Guelph Storm and I am sticking with them. First reason; an advantage on special teams. These playoffs, and through the year really, Guelph has had the advantage on the powerplay and on the penalty kill. Second reason, I do truly believe that Guelph has more difference makers in the lineup. I love the way that this Ottawa team is composed and I love the way that they play, but Nick Suzuki and Dmitri Samorukov are literally playing out of their mind right now and when they're on, they are the best players on the ice and I don't think Ottawa has anyone who matches that same dominance on an individual level. All that said, I expect this series to be extremely close, unless Guelph is truly out of gas. Let the games begin!
Prediction: Guelph in 6

No comments: