The 2020 NHL Entry Draft commenced today and 31 OHL players had their names called by NHL clubs. This is honestly a much lower number than I anticipated. Last year, a draft crop many believed to be the worst that the OHL has produced, had 25 selections. This year, many believed (myself included) that this crop was significantly stronger, yet it did not see many more selections.
Below you can find the results for OHL players, as well as my draft ranking before the draft (for comparison's sake).
Some general thoughts on how the draft played out:
- Highest players to go unselected from my rankings included Oliver Suni, James Hardie, Nick Malik, Ruben Rafkin, and Ethan Cardwell. Additionally, Pavel Gogolev and Robert Calisti from the re-entry crop did not go. I found all of these to be pretty surprising.
- In my draft rankings write up, I mentioned that it would not shock me if Jack Quinn went ahead of Rossi and Perfetti. It happened and I'm still not surprised. NHL teams look at how valuable a guy like Mark Stone is to Vegas and Quinn certainly has similar potential (in the sense of being a strong two-way forward).
- Shocked to see how far Martin Chromiak fell. I knew that he wouldn't go as high as I had him ranked, but I did figure that he would be a selection in the 50-75 range. He is a terrific player and I do believe that he will eventually prove to be someone that should not have fallen that far.
- Really disappointed that Cameron Tolnai was not drafted. But the sample size was ultimately too small. If the pandemic did not end the season abruptly, he could have been a point per game player in the OHL playoffs with the way he closed the year and the chemistry he showed with Graeme Clarke. If he did that, there's no way he makes it outside the fourth round, let alone being undrafted. I expect big things from him next year (if the league plays) and I think he puts himself back on the draft map.
- Full draft results can be found here.
|My Rank||Player Name||PO||OHL Team||NHL Team||RD||Pick|
|13||Jean Luc Foudy||F||Windsor||COL||3||75|
|15||Brandon Coe||F||North Bay||SJ||4||98|
|42||Ole Bjorgvik Holm||D||Mississauga||CBJ||5||145|
|50||Mark Woolley||D||Owen Sound|